Make snack time more playful with Zespri SunGold kiwifruit. I’m sharing three after school “art projects” you can do with the kids and enjoy as a snack. Read on and get to know the yellow kiwifruit called SunGold.
Enter to Win
Leave a comment about your favorite thing about kiwifruit and be entered to win a signed copy of my book, Body Kindness and a coupon for free Zespri SunGold kiwifruit so you can taste the goodness for yourself.
1. Buried Treasure with Kiwifruit
Take your mind back to the beach with some buried treasure! Every kid loves a surprise, especially after a long day at school.
- First, cut a SunGold kiwifruit in half, scoop out the flesh and slice it into pieces.
- Then, place 10 to 15 chocolate chips at the bottom of the fruit’s skin (the treasure box) and top it with the sliced kiwifruit.
- For more fun, add carrot slices and a small circle of cheese to the plate in the shape of the sun and O-shaped whole-grain cereal for sand.
Two kiwifruit have the vitamin C of three oranges and as much potassium as a medium banana. Carrots help provide vitamin A, which is important for your kids’ vision, bone growth and immune system.
2. SunGold Kiwifruit Sunflower
Add a little sunshine to kids’ days by making this fruit flower.
- Slice a SunGold kiwifruit in half width-wise.
- Use half as the sunflower center and cut the other half into six triangular pieces (the petals – make an “X” with your knife and then make one more horizontal cut like you were slicing the “X” into a top and bottom).
- After placing the pieces around the center 1/2 kiwifruit to look like a flower, use cut celery stalks for the stem and leaves of the sunflower.
- For added protein, microwave 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and drizzle it on the plate to create the roots of the flower.
3. Kiwifruit Sailboats
These snacks are just two ingredients: SunGold kiwifruit and hard cheese.
- Cut a kiwifruit lengthwise (the boat).
- Cut two triangles of cheese to act as the sails.
- Place one end of a toothpick into the cheese sails and the other end into the kiwifruit to create a sailboat.
Cheese is a good source of calcium and vitamin D, which helps kids build strong and healthy bones.
What Can You Create?
I had so much fun making these recipes for Zespri with my girls by my side. They love to eat SunGolds, whether they are part of art projects or a simple cut-and-scoop fruit in their lunch box at school.
Why not create your own unique “food art” snacks? I’d love to see your creations. Try to play off their personal interests in food, animals and everything in between.
Check out Zespri Recipes
Need recipe inspirations? You’ll find dozens of ideas at the Zespri website for any time of day and “like” their Facebook page too. Disclosure statement: I’m the US spokesperson for Zespri Kiwifruit and partnered with Zespri for this blog post and book giveaway.
Enter to Win
Comment with your favorite thing about kiwiftruit and be entered to win a signed copy of my book Body Kindness and a coupon to sample Zespri SunGold kiwifruit. One winner will be drawn from the blog comments November 3 after midnight. Once you provide a valid, U.S. mailing address, please allow 7-14 days for your gift to arrive.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org