Bernie is back and we chat about weight and body conversations in the media, including my latest Washington Post story “What if doctors stopped weighing their patients? Healthcare might improve.” and the amazing Self digital issue on weight. All the stories in the package are worth the read, starting with the letter from the editor who said “the way we talk about weight and health is broken” (yes, it is!).
Several of the writers were guests on Body Kindness and if you’re ready to catch up, I have the link to their Self stories and their podcast interviews below. And… here’s my first Self freelance piece about the fear of sugar being toxic is worse for you than sugar actually being toxic.
Heads up, Bernie and I are planning a 6 week series starting August 20th Body Kindness for guys. We will have group conversations on body image, health, and healing with Bernie and myself co-facilitating. If you’re interested or want more info when reg is up to pass along to someone who may be interested e-mail me.
Listen here to Episode 87 here:
Self magazine articles and Body Kindness episodes
- Self: Tess Holliday’s Health is None of Your Business
- Podcast: Episode 80: Diversity in Fashion with Straight/Curve Documentary Filmmaker Jenny McQuaile (Tess Holliday appears)
- Self: Ijeoma Oluo curates a series of essays, starting with Lindy West (links to other stories in her series at the top)
- Podcast: Episode 65: So You Want to Talk About Race with Ijeoma Oluo
- Self: I’m not trying to lose weight by Jes Baker
- Podcast: Episode 27: Culture Jamming and Mindful Healing with Jes Baker and Episode 79: Diets Can Kiss My A** with Jes Baker author of Landwhale and Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls
- Self: The house next door by Sonya Renee Taylor
- Podcast: Episode 75: Your Body Is Not an Apology, with Author, Poet, and Activist Sonya Renee Taylor
- Self: Skinny shaming is not the same as fatphobia by Melissa Fabello
- Podcast: Episode 32: Orgasm Inequality – Achieving Parity in Achieving Climax