Actress and comedian Lisa Linke (Bless the Mess on ABC) joins me to talk about the intersections of diet culture and entertainment.
We discuss how social media continues to help her on her relationship with her body. Plus she dishes on her podcast Go Help Yourself and a free way you can coax her into doing (legit) silly stuff on Instagram.
Listen to Episode 131:
Here is a short summary of what we discussed:
- Lisa’s acting work, including Bless This Mess with Dax Shepard airing now on ABC
- marginalizations in acting and comedy, whats getting better
- ‘headless fatty”, as coined by Charlotte Cooper
- Samantha Bee segment – Thicc Not Sick
- How instagram BoPo accounts really helped Lisa heal her relationship to her body and how fat activism messages on social still challenge her today.
- What it feels like to think about the privilege of walking around the world in a thinner body and we discuss why that “seeking” is really freedom from oppression.
- Intersectionality of race, class, and health
- the myth of the 10K steps a day
- the history of the bathroom scale (learn more here)
- Emily Nagoski’s Body Kindness episode and her history of the patriarchy
- Lisa’s podcast Go Help Yourself, a critical, funny, and HELPFUL analysis of self help books
- How receiving compassion from others helped Lisa give it to herself
- tRXuth Hurts: anti-fat-phobia parody of Lizzo’s Truth Hurts
- Bill Maher, James Cordon and “missed opportunities” about weight stigma
- The critical need to change the systems of oppression like in medical weight stigma
- Check out Lisa’s Instagram Live show Sundays at 3:30 ET
A native of Champaign Illinois, Lisa Linke is a multi-talented actress, writer, improviser and podcast host. She has numerous TV credits under her belt including a recurring role on TV Land’s Teachers and guest roles on Shameless, Black-ish, Grey’s Anatomy, This Is Us and Modern Family to name just a few. She can be seen in a recurring role in ABC’s Bless This Mess and a guest role on Netflix’s AJ and the Queen.
She wrote, produced and starred in Dog Moms, a parody web series based on Dance Moms. Linke also hosts #SuggestionSundayShow every Sunday at 12:30 PM PST, an Instagram Live show where she improvs with guests based on viewer suggestions.
Linke also co-created and hosts the Go Help Yourself Podcast, which reviews self-help books with a comedic twist.
She resides in Los Angeles, with her dogs Zoey and Wrigley.