Learn and Grow with Me
2018-2019 Body Kindness Mentor Program 8 months… One group… Endless Transformations
I’m “all in” on my commitment to transforming how we approach health and wellness and I’m inviting you to join me. As helping professionals, we are challenged with practicing in a weight normative diet culture while feeling pulled to change it, to eradicate weight stigma, and to reframe “health,” making it truly well-being centered, where mental and physical health are equal parts of the equation and the people we work with are included, seen, heard, and validated in their healing partnership with you.
November 2018-June 2019 I’m taking a small group of helping professionals on a path to create the kind of personally meaningful work that changes lives – weight inclusive, compassionate, and HAES(R) -informed care.
Applications are now open and all helping professionals are invited to apply. This mentorship is ideal for dietitians, dietetic internship educators, therapists, exercise/movement professionals, and body healers who want to offer more for clients than the standard weight normative paradigm (weight loss and dieting to improve health) and those who have been working with a weight inclusive approach and are looking for more impact and satisfaction in their career. Whether you work one on one, in groups, write, speak, or have big dreams (and I hope you do!) working with me and a group of like-minded folks will help you navigate your path with more hope and confidence.
High Touch = High Impact
This is a “high-touch” group with a structure designed to nurture your development through self-study, group conversation, and private mentorship with me. Here’s what we do:
- 1/1 private calls with me offered monthly over the 8-month mentorship — You get a special calendar to request/book time, including sending me an “SOS” for time-sensitive issues.
- Monthly group coaching calls and audio recordings where mentees learn and grow together.
- These are 60-90 minutes and attendance is required. Though, life happens and you will be able to benefit from the recoding if you can’t make it to a call.
- The calls will tentatively be held the first or second THURSDAY of each month at 3 p.m. ET. Please note as applications are accepted and it’s determined that this consistent day/time does not work, all efforts will be made to retrieve input from our milieu for time preferences to maximize live participation in the calls.
- Special guest expert mentors hand selected by me for their accomplishments in their professional work and social justice activism.
- Date and time for our group call with guest experts is subject to change based on their availability.
- Discussion, research, and education on key foundations blending cultural and practical professional development including (but not limited to):
- The Body Kindness philosophy in practice
- How traditional training intersects and differs from weight inclusive work
- Weight stigma and it’s impact on health
- Weight inclusive paradigm best practices, tools, and resources
- Health at Every Size
- Intuitive Eating, including integrating with medical nutrition therapy (for dietitians) and working with weight inclusive dietitians
- Exercise/movement (including focusing on functional training aspects, preventing injury, and healing relationships with exercise)
- Emotion Regulation (anxiety, emotional eating)
- Screening for eating disorders (and referring if it’s not your work — and staying on the care team if you would like)
- clients with weight concerns and internalized weight stigma
- Motivational interviewing for behavior change
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) informed skills for values and goals
- Positive Psychology
- Body Image Healing
- Working with clients with trauma history
- Referring, networking, and collaborating with others HAES/non-HAES folx, and more.
- Self-study at your pace. One of the ways I get the group up to speed is by offering self-study: videos, reading books, research, blogs, articles, etc. on your own time. There aren’t grades here, but there is plenty of structured content for you to devote time that you need to learn and grow.
- Business-related coaching and support, including discovering and communicating with the world what makes you special with tools to help you along the way.
- Decision making on branding, marketing, social media, e-mails, offers, writing, speaking, podcasting, books, online courses, private practice, groups, or whatever it is you are dreaming about, I’m happy to listen and help you move along your path in our 1/1 time, or if you’re interested, discussing in our group settings.
- Secret Facebook group to share and discuss current events, new/emerging research, group sharing between calls, ask questions of our expert leaders.
- Private, secure education portal where you can find the material created specifically for you.
- Three self reflection and growth assessments to chart your progress and re-align your direction.
This 8-month program is offered at a flat rate of $1800 to cover all materials and related fees.
Have a question before you apply? Email me!
I want to hear about everything that is holding you back and help you break through.
If you have read my book Body Kindness then you would not surprised to hear that I haven’t always been so firmly planted in weight-inclusive, HAES-informed counseling and writing. I was, in fact, one of the biggest pushers of diets and diet culture… thinking I was helping people and in reality, I was holding them back from achieving better health and happiness. Now I know what I was doing was downright harmful and oppressive. Once my eyes opened, I knew I had to change everything. Everything.
Every one of us will bring our unique client challenges and difficulties, successes, and experiences to the group for further reflection, discussion, and processing so that we can all learn and grow together.
Am I Ready Now?
Learning happens at all stages. You have permission to be right where you are now. That may include a job that keeps you working in weight normative spaces where you feel “stuck”. All you need to be is the willingness to learn and grow, to challenge yourself and each other in a space that is created for you to evolve and transform how and why you do the work that you do. And… let me be real… make decisions that fit you best, in line with the kind of life you want. The answer is not more hustling. It’s clarity, combined with meaningful action. I can help you with that.
I have benefitted greatly from supervision and study under Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD, (who really needs no introduction) as well as peer supervision among some of today’s top HAES and eating disorder recovery dietitians. If there is one thing I know from all this work, it’s this:
You need time to transform. You need a team you can trust. You need a place to ask “dumb questions” (surprise, there’s no such thing!) You need permission to make mistakes. You need compassionate listeners.
You’ll get that (and more) if you get accepted into my 8-month mentor program.
After applicants are accepted, we will open up our secret Facebook group and training portal, schedule our first live chat and your monthly 1/1s, and you will complete your first self-reflection and growth survey. (This step is essential for me to get a read on the needs of our milieu before we start.) You will complete reflections throughout in order to maintain a dynamic, flexible group structure that is attuned to the diverse and unique needs everyone in the group.
If this sounds like it’s calling you. Fill out the application now. You’ll need about 15-30 minutes to complete it. The absolute last deadline is 10/31, though applicants are accepted on a rolling basis and I’m expecting the group to fill up just like last year’s group.
Step By Step
- Complete the application as soon as possible. It will take about 15-30 minutes, but you can save your progress and return later if needed. There is a $100 application fee via PayPal that will be credited toward the enrollment fee if you’re accepted and will only be refunded if you are not accepted.
- One time fee of $1800 includes your enrollment for all 8 months of the program. Checks and credit cards accepted. Payment plans will be available for 8 monthly payments via PayPal. Please email Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to arrange a payment plan after you apply. (This will not impact your application.) If you have a financial hardship and concerns about affording the program fee, please email Rebecca to discuss after you submit your application.
- The deadline to apply is 10/31, but get them in as soon as you can. I’ll review applications on a rolling basis.
- The program runs November 2018 to June 2019. You’ll be able to schedule your monthly 1/1’s with me as soon as you’re notified of your placement. We will finalize the best days and times for all our live calls once the application period is closed.
- Expect to spend a few hours a week working on the non diet approach. This time may include reading, journaling, participating in our private Facebook group, and preparing for group call content themes.
Have a question before you apply? Email me!
What about CEUs?
In short, there are not pre-approved CEUs. However, many professionals can document the hours spent on specific styles of learning to earn hours. I will work with anyone seeking CEUs in the program on verifying and recording what work is eligible.