Learn and Grow with Me
Body Kindness Mentor Program 10 months. One group. Endless possibilities.
I'm "all in" on my commitment to transforming how we approach health and wellness and I'm inviting you to join me. As helping professionals, we are challenged with practicing in a weight normative diet culture while feeling pulled to change it, to eradicate weight stigma, and to reframe "health," making it truly well-being centered, where mental and physical health are equal parts of the equation and the people we work with are included, seen, heard, and validated in their healing partnership with you.
This mentorship is ideal for dietitians, dietetic internship educators, therapists, exercise/movement professionals, and body healers who want to offer more for clients than the standard weight normative paradigm (weight loss and dieting to improve health) and those who have been working with a weight inclusive approach and are looking for more impact and satisfaction in their career. Whether you work one on one, in groups, write, speak, or have big dreams (and I hope you do!) working with me and a group of like-minded folks will help you navigate your path with more hope and confidence.
About Learn and Grow
This mentorship is ideal for dietitians, dietetic internship educators, therapists, exercise/movement professionals, and body healers who want to offer more for clients than the standard weight normative paradigm (weight loss and dieting to improve health) and those who have been working with a weight inclusive approach and are looking for more impact and satisfaction in their career.
Whether you work one on one, in groups, write, speak, or have big dreams (and I hope you do!) working with me and a group of like-minded folks will help you navigate your path with more hope and confidence.
High Touch = High Impact
This is a "high-touch" group with a structure designed to nurture your development through self-study, group conversation, and private mentorship with me.
Here's what we do:
- 1/1 private calls with me 8, 30-minute supervision calls over the length of the 10-month mentorship. We establish regular dates and times, but you will be able to request adjustments, including sending me an "SOS" request for time-sensitive issues.
- Monthly group coaching calls and audio recordings where mentees learn and grow together.
- These are 60 minutes in length and attendance for all calls is strongly encouraged. Though, life happens and you will be able to benefit from the recoding if you can't make it to a call.
- The calls will tentatively be held the first THURSDAY at 3 p.m. ET November 2019-June 2020. All efforts will be made to adjust calls for holidays.
- FYI, this date and time was chosen to aim for introducing fresh content early in the month and to maximum availability across coasts without impeding possible long weekends. Nothing is perfect, but if you have strong concerns about making the proposed date/time for group calls please reach out to me to discuss these concerns.
- Direct Q/A with real people. This program allows time to hear from clients (YES, clients!) and expert mentors hand selected by me for our group. These sessions are scheduled through your needs assessments and feedback and are incorporated into our 10-month curriculum.
- For example, we have had conversations with folks who were recovering from chronic dieting, trauma, eating disorders, and helping professionals with expertise in HAES and social justice. Previous guests include: Deb Burgard, PhD, Melissa Toler, Pharm D, Dawn Clifford, PhD, RDN, Margit Berman, PhD, and others.
- Date and time for these group calls is subject to change based on their availability.
- Discussion, research, and education on key foundations blending cultural and practical professional development including (but not limited to):
- The Body Kindness philosophy in practice
- How traditional training intersects and differs from weight inclusive work (many past mentees worked in weight normative roles while completing the program)
- Weight stigma and it's impact on health
- Weight inclusive paradigm best practices, tools, and resources
- Health at Every Size
- Intuitive Eating, including integrating with medical nutrition therapy (for dietitians) and working with weight inclusive dietitians
- Exercise/movement (including focusing on functional training aspects, preventing injury, and healing relationships with exercise)
- Emotion Regulation (anxiety, emotional eating)
- Screening for eating disorders (and referring if it's not your work -- and staying on the care team if you would like)
- Being present with clients with weight concerns and internalized weight stigma
- Motivational interviewing for behavior change
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) informed skills for values and goals
- Positive Psychology
- Body Image Healing
- Working with clients with trauma history
- Referring, networking, and collaborating with others HAES/non-HAES folx, and more.
- Self-study at your pace. One of the ways I get the group up to speed is by offering self-study: videos, reading books, research, blogs, articles, etc. on your own time. There aren't grades here, but there is plenty of structured content for you to devote time that you need to learn and grow.
- Business-related coaching and support, including discovering and communicating with the world what makes you special with tools to help you along the way.
- Decision making on branding, marketing, social media, e-mails, offers, writing, speaking, podcasting, books, online courses, private practice, groups, or whatever it is you are dreaming about, I'm happy to listen and help you move along your path in our 1/1 time, or if you're interested, discussing in our group settings.
- Private Facebook group to share and discuss current events, new/emerging research, group sharing between calls, ask questions of our expert leaders.
- Private, secure education portal where you can find the material created specifically for you.
- Three self reflection and growth assessments to chart your progress and re-align your direction and priorities as YOU "learn and grow" with life, work, and wisdom.
All the benefits of the program mentioned above are provided for an application fee of $100 and a one-time payment of $2400. The application fee is collected when you apply (via Paypal). If you are not accepted into the program, 100% of your application fee will be refunded when you are notified.
The $2400 balance is due by November 1.
I realize that your time and money is extremely valuable and I sincerely hope you'll be in a place THIS YEAR to say YES to yourself and apply.
I want to hear about everything that is holding you back and help you break through.
If you have read my book Body Kindness then you would not surprised to hear that I haven't always been so firmly planted in weight-inclusive, HAES-informed counseling and writing. I was, in fact, one of the biggest pushers of diets and diet culture... thinking I was helping people and in reality, I was holding them back from achieving better health and happiness. Now I know what I was doing was downright harmful and oppressive. Once my eyes opened, I knew I had to change everything. Everything.
Every one of us will bring our unique client challenges and difficulties, successes, and experiences to the group for further reflection, discussion, and processing so that we can all learn and grow together.
Am I Ready Now?
Learning happens at all stages. You have permission to be right where you are now. That may include a job that keeps you working in weight normative spaces where you feel "stuck". All you need to be is the willingness to learn and grow, to challenge yourself and each other in a space that is created for you to evolve and transform how and why you do the work that you do. And... let me be real... make decisions that fit you best, in line with the kind of life you want. The answer is not more hustling. It's clarity, combined with meaningful action. I can help you with that.
I have benefitted greatly from supervision and study under Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD, (who really needs no introduction) as well as peer supervision among some of today's top HAES and eating disorder recovery dietitians. If there is one thing I know from all this work, it's this:
You need time to transform. You need a team you can trust. You need a place to ask "dumb questions" (surprise, there's no such thing!) You need permission to make mistakes. You need compassionate listeners.
You'll get that (and more) if you get accepted into my 10-month mentor program.
After applicants are accepted, we will open up our private Facebook group and training portal, schedule our first live chat and your monthly 1/1s, and you will complete your first self-reflection and growth survey. (This step is essential for me to get a read on the needs of our milieu before we start.)
You will complete reflections throughout in order to maintain a dynamic, flexible group structure that is attuned to the diverse and unique needs everyone in the group.
What about CEUs/CPEs?
In short, there are not pre-approved CEUs for any profession. However, many professionals can document the hours spent on specific styles of learning to earn hours based on the rules of their crediting body.
Speaking from personal experience as an RDN and EP-C (American College of Sports Medicine) I have been able to get many CEUs from sources not pre-approved.
I am most familiar with dietetics and training organizations ability to count webinars, journal club, and reading assignments as part of professional education.
I will work with anyone seeking CEUs in the program on verifying and recording what work is eligible for your smooth CEU collection.
Still Thinking About It?
"When I started this mentorship I thought I would just be building on my limited knowledge of HAES, non-diet approach, IE, etc., but I've walked away a changed person. These changes are important as I start counseling clients so I can meet them where they are and not engage in directive care which is the world I've lived in for the past 10 years."
“I am a registered dietitian with a private practice that focuses on disordered eating nutrition therapy. I read Body Kindness after a friend recommended it. I love it. It’s easy to read. It’s pleasant to the eye. It has activities that teach, and the ‘spiral ups’ are really empowering. I have given each one of my clients in the last month a copy of their own.” —Ellyn Silverman, RD, MPH